Poland National Football Team Facts And Figures
The Super Eagles of Nigeria face Poland in a friendly encounter in Wroclaw tonight, futballplace.com brings you some facts and figures about the national football team of the European nation.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The nickname of the team is Biało-czerwoni (The White and Reds) or Orły (The Eagles)
- The head coach is Adam Nawalka (since 2013)
- Captain of the team is Bayern Munich striker, Robert Lewandowski
- Michał Žewłakwo has most caps for the country (120)
- The all-time top scorer for the Polish team is Robert Lewandowski (51 goals)
- The Home stadium is National stadium, Warsaw
- Poland are currently ranked 6th (alongside Spain) in the FIFA/Coca-Cola World rankings
- Poland won the gold medal in the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich; the silver medal in 1976 in Montreal and in 1992 in Barcelona
- They also claimed third place at the 1974 and 1982 World Cup tournaments
- Poland and Ukraine co-hosted the UEFA Euro 2012 tournament. The opening match was between Poland and Greece at the National stadium, Warsaw
- They lost their quarterfinal match via penalties (5-3) to eventual winners, Portugal at the UEFA Euro 2016 tournament. It was also their best ever performance at a European Championship
- Russia 2018 will be the 8th appearance of the White and Reds at the World Cup.